Upon the entry of Father Adam and his wife Eve on the earth there was the need for guidance. In the Garden of Eden Adam was guided as to what he can do, which was beneficial and what was to be avoided, as such would be detrimental to them.
Even then Satan deceived them and caused their fall. Here on earth they were to pro-create and be the father of the human species, which was designated to be the representative of Allah all over the earth. Allah says:
O mankind; reverence your Guardian Lord Who created you from a single person, and created from it (that person) its mate; and from both of them scattered many men and women. (4:1)
In his new environment, man was required to know the ways of taking care of himself, how he should relate with his fellow human being, how he should utilize the things of nature and how he should connect and represent his Lord here on the earth.
In addition to the need for guidance, he was informed that he should be on guard against the schemes and tricks of Satan who made a vow in the presence of his Lord that he was going to fight Adam and his progeny. This is recorded in the Qur’an as follows:
(Satan said), Because You have thrown me out of the way, verily, I will lie in wait for them on the Straight Path. Then, I shall assault them from before them, and behind them; from their right and from their left; and You will not find, in most of them, gratitude; (for Your mercies). (7:16-17)
One way of catching the progeny of Adam is to decorate the evil and make it look attractive. Allah informs us about this trick in the following verse of Al-Qur’an. He says:
Remember, Satan made their sinful acts seem alluring to them, and said; no one among men can overcome you today; while I am with you. (8:48)
Allah, out of His Mercies and Love for man, sent Messengers to every tribe and nation, wherever these were located in the earth, to teach man how to submit to his Creator and be aware of the deceit of Satan whose mission is to divert the focus of everyone from staying on the Straight Path.
Allah communicated with the Messengers in different ways. Some He inspired; some He gave dreams; some He spoke to; some got revelations through the angel; some got revealed Books. In addition to all the ways of communicating with the Messengers, Allah also invited Prophet Muhammad (pboh) to His Divine Presence and had audience with Him.
As mankind continue to grow in wisdom, knowledge and understanding, Allah sent the Final Messenger, Muhammad (pboh) to be the unifying figure for every tribe and nation on the earth, to teach the people how to live as one big human family as brethren in faith; to pray and practice religion in a similar way in every place and age.
Allah bestowed on Prophet Muhammad (pboh) many different types of responsibilities. Some of them were:
- He was to be the Messenger for the whole of mankind. This is recorded in the Holy Qur’an in the following verse. Say (O Muhammad), O men! Verily I am sent unto you all as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the skies and the earth. (7:158)
- He is the universal model. Allah says: We have not sent you (O Muhammad) but as a universal model to mankind; giving them glad tidings, and warning them (against sin). (34:28)
- He invited the people to Allah. In this connection Allah tells us the following: As one who invites to Allah by His leave. (33:46)
- He lights up the way. Allah says: And the Lamp that gives light. (33:46)
- He gave to mankind by the leave of the Lord, the unadulterated Words. Allah says: He (the Pagan) may hear the Word of Allah. (9:6)
- He gave to mankind a complete Code of Life. Allah says: This day have I perfected for you your Religion, and completed My Favors upon you. (5:3)
- He corrected all errors in beliefs and practices of the followers of the Messengers who came before him. Allah says: The same religion has He established for you; as that which He enjoined on Noah; that which We have sent by inspiration to thee, and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses and Jesus. (42:13)
- He is the “perfect model”. Allah says: You have indeed in the Messenger of Allah, a beautiful pattern of conduct, for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day; and who engages much in the Remembrance of Allah. (33:21)
- He informed his followers, on the basis of firsthand knowledge about reward and punishment. Allah says: Man can have nothing except for what he strives; that his striving will soon come in sight; then will he be rewarded with a complete reward; and that the Lord is the Final Goal. (53:39-42)
- He is the Chief Intercessor. Allah says: And those on whom they invoke besides Allah have no power of intercession. Only he who bears witness to the Truth (will intercede) and they know him. (43:86)
- He taught the way of getting Allah’s love. Allah says: Say: If you do love Allah, follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. (3:31)
- He is the Straight Path. Allah says: Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled. Nor does he say anything of his own desire. It is no less than inspiration sent down to him. He was taught by one Mighty in Power.(53:2-5)
- He continues to be connected to every believer. Allah says: All who obey Allah and the Messenger are in the Company of those on whom is the Grace of Allah; of the Prophets, the Sincere; the Witnesses; and the Righteous. Ah! What a beautiful fellowship. ($;69)
- He will be the one who will visit in the graves all who die; and will be a source of light in the graves of the believers. Allah says: (He is) the Lamp that gives light. (33:46)
- Through him the believers are blessed with the gift of His unadulterated Words, i.e. the Holy Qur’an. Allah says: We have without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it from corruption. (15:9)
- His Sunnah has been preserved so that believers learn from it the ways of practicing the Deen properly. Allah says: Take what the Messenger gives to you, and stay away from what he denies you. (59:7)
Because the Nobel Messenger gave to the world all that is required to perfect themselves as the Viceroys of the Lord on earth, there was no need for any Messenger to come after him. His mission is available both as the Complete Code of Guidance in the Qur’an and in his Traditions.